Although it does not happen often, when a major household appliance comes to the end of its useful life, it can be hard to dispose of safely. This is because they can contain Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS) and are made of a mix of metals and plastics.
The Regional District has partnered with the Major Appliance Recycling Roundtable (MARR) Stewardship Program to allow residents to drop off their large appliances for free. This includes appliances that contain ODS as well as washers, dryers, stoves, and a variety of other approved appliances. All appliances must be clean and empty of food.
Where you can drop off the appliances depends on if it contains ODS.
Appliances containing ODS:
- Full-Size Refrigerators and Wine Coolers/Beverage Centres
- Compact Refrigerators and Wine Coolers/Beverage Centres
- Room Air Conditioners
- Portable Air Conditioners
- Water Coolers
Can be taken to:
- Foothills Boulevard Regional Landfill
- Mackenzie Regional Transfer Station
- Hixon Regional Transfer Station
- Bear Lake Regional Transfer Station
- McBride Regional Transfer Station
- Valemount Regional Transfer Station
Appliances that DO NOT contain ODS can be taken to the above sites as well as:
- Cummings Road Regional Transfer Station
- Shelley Regional Transfer Station
- Vanway Regional Recycling Depot and Transfer Station
- Quinn Street Regional Recycling Depot.
These can include:
- Clothes Washers
- Clothes Dryers
- Range Hoods and Downdrafts
- Built-In Ovens
- Built-In and Over the Range Microwave Ovens
- Surface Cooking Units
- Food Waste Disposers
- Trash Compactors
- Built-In Electric Water Dispensers
For information on any other product not part of the MARR program,
please contact the RDFFG at 250-960-4433.